Monday, February 20, 2006

Spider-man: The '67 Collection


















BRAIN: I've done it. I've made it through all 6 DVDs in this collection of Spider-man cartoons from 1967 - 1970. This has been in my DVD stack since in came out in 2004 but it was recently that I started at the beginning and watched all 52 episodes. I was looking for something to watch with Jack (my year and a half old son) that didn't consist of songs sung by four Australian guys sporting primary colored, Star Trek looking outfits. It worked. He watched, or at least didn't mind having it on in the background. I love these. They bring back memories of spending Saturday mornings in front of the tube and sitting about six inches away from the screen. They are a little before my time, but I was lucky enough to see these in rerun. They did a great job restoring these. I've had bootlegs on VHS and they were pretty murky. They are now bright, crisp and sound great (but still mono). The animation looks really dated though, so I doubt most older kids will get into these. Me, I like the simple animation style. The buildings are painted different colors, Spidey swings the same way where ever he goes, the plots are simple. About half way through they start getting pretty bizarre though, Ralph Bakshi takes over. Spidey stops fighting guys like Electro and Scorpion and starts fighting monsters and mad scientists, the sky in the background goes from a light blue to an almost LSD-inspired wash of water color and the music even gets a little funkier. These stories play out a little more like Jonny Quest or Scooby-Doo. Something else I discovered, the voice of Peter Parker is the same guy who did Hermey on Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. I had a great time watching these.

At about buck an episode, you can't go wrong.
I give this an A-.

No comments: