Monday, April 10, 2006

Comic Reviews

BRAIN: I've been itching to get back into a couple of monthly titles so I found some story arcs that were just beginning. I picked up 4 comics that have been getting some hype lately to see if any were worth continuing on with. Here they are. I'll try and not give anything away if you have not read them yet.

Moon Knight #1

Hmmm. I was pretty excited about this. I guess it's a good start. It starts with some inner-monologue of Moon Knight telling himself why he does what he does. He takes care of the street crime because other hero's are taking care of the big picture. I found this to be a little generic but hey, let's give this series a few more issues to see what happens. The art is top notch. Finch is one of my favorites. Moon Knight gets his power from the Khonshu, God of the Moon. It seems that Moon Knight and Khonshu have had a falling out and he is trying to get into his good graces again.

Will I continue getting this comic? Not sure. I will probably wait for the trade on this one.

Incredible Hulk #92

Hulk gets dicked over by the Illuminati (see below) and sent to a strange planet. They wanted to send him to a peaceful planet where he couldn't be hurt and where he couldn't hurt anything. Well, Hulk throws a fit when they tell him this via video screen on his space ship. He busts up the ship and sends it off course. He ends up landing on a very violent planet where he is basically turned into a gladiator. On this planet Hulk can be hurt, but he dishes out some pain right back.

Will I continue getting this comic? For sure. This was great!

The New Avengers Illuminati
This was great too. This one shot explains situations that lead up to Marvel's Civil War. The Illuminati was formed after the Kree/Skrull war to stop catastrophes like this before they happen. It is made up of Iron Man, Reed Richards, Namor, Black Bolt, Dr. Strange and Professor X. I'm not sure if Black Panther is part of this. He stormed out of the room on the first meeting. They start arguing about the Hulk. He destroyed Las Vegas and something has to be done. They vote to trick him and send him off planet. This starts a rift in the group. The rift grows even deeper when they talk about legislation in the government to make all super heroes register with the government and work for SHIELD. None of them like the idea, but some think they should follow the government and some think they shouldn't. Namor is a real prick in this issue but I guess is usually is. You can see and understand everybodys side to these arguements. Story and art were great.

Will I continue getting this comic? Yes. This has me very excited about Civil War.

Blue Beetle #1
I want to start reading more DC comics so I started here. A re-launch of the classic character Blue Beetle. I'll start by saying that the new costume design is really cool. I like the gadgets he has and seeing him fight a Green Lantern was fun. But I have to say that I couldn't get passed the dialog. When people were talking to each other it was very choppy and irregular. After awhile it really started to annoy me. I guess it's a good start though. Teenager finds blue bug at construction site. It bonds to him and he gets power that he didn't ask for, a little bit more reminiscent of Marvel characters than DC to me.

Will I continue getting this comic? No. Time to find a different DC book to read.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome art on that The New Avengers Illuminati. Are the insides as good?

Ever since Earth X Ive started to really like Black Bolt. I like the shot of him on that cover.

I really hope Civil War is good...

Marvel Zombies just wrapped up. Funny shit!!! Its great. I wanna shake the hand of whoever dreamed up the idea.

Speaking of monthlys, Young Avengers is alot of fun IMO. Its not new but it wouldnt be hard to get caught up.

brainwerk said...

Inside of illuminati is good, but not as good as the cover.

The damn Marvel Zombies were selling out before I could get to them. I only have issue 1 and 2...

Anonymous said...

I somehow accidently bought two of Marvel Zombies issue #4. If you want it its yours.

Ceder Cliff still has quite a few back issues...