Thursday, March 02, 2006

Lighten Up Will Ya?














BRAIN: I’d like to talk about a comic. Marvel Team-Up #14 written by Robert Kirkman. I know this came out 3 months ago, but I finally got to it in my comic stack. What a great Spider-man comic. It was a very fun read. Invincible appears in the Marvel Universe because one of his enemys is hurling him into different dimensions trying to weaken him. He meets up with Spidey and they hit it off. They have some great dialog and Invincible slaps up Doc Ock. What a breath of fresh air in the Spider-man universe. I know I keep singing the praises of Kirkman but I can’t help it. He writes Spider-man like he’s supposed to be written. Please give him a Spider-man title and retire J Michael Straczynski. JMS (and the other Spider-man writers) can write a good story, but quit frankly, he’s fucking up my favorite character! He is just too wrapped up in Spider-man mysticism. Bring back some fun story lines. Am I supposed to be depressed when I read Spider-man? Spidey has always had tragedy in his life, but now it’s just getting goofy. Have you read “The Other” story arc? Let me recap for you if you haven’t… First off, IT WAS 12 COMICS LONG! Spidey was cursed, had his eyes gouged out, killed and reborn in a cocoon that evolved his powers. You with me? He now has bone stingers ala Wolverine style. It’s true. He can also see in the dark and detect vibrations among other things. Now he has a new robo-costume designed by Tony Stark and lives in a skyscraper. I miss insecure, guilt-ridden geek who lived paycheck to paycheck and just never had enough time for a personal life and Spider-man. I really don’t like being a hater, but the recent events in Spider-man’s life just reek of being attention-garnering events rather than good stories…

No comments: